1 1/2 cups raw almonds
4 cups pure drinking water
1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon sweetener of choice
Pinch of Himalayan salt
Rinse almonds, soak in water for 10-12 hours. Rinse again.
Blend the nuts with the drinking water in a blender, into a slurry.
Position a nut-milk bag over a bowl or quart measuring cup (or lay several layers of cheesecloth over the top of a bowl or large measuring cup) and pour slurry through. Lift bag (or pick up corners of cheesecloth) and lightly squeeze the contents until no more liquid drips through.
Put the milk back into the blender, add the sea salt, sweetener, coconut oil and vanilla extract and blend well. Refrigerate immediately.
Nut milk is highly perishable. Use within three days.
YIELD: 1 quart of vanilla almond milk
Try these ideas:
1) Freeze the milk in ice cube trays for smoothies.
2) Pour on cereal or granola.
3) Use on cooked oatmeal, warm slightly just before serving.
5) Add a heaping tablespoon of chocolate, blend well.
6) Add your favorite fruit, blend well.
SOURCE: Recipe courtesy of Rita Rivera of Milks Alive